Polystyrene hives are definitely becoming more and more popular. The small weight and small dimensions, compared to wooden beehives, make them particularly useful in migratory apiaries, but they are also useful in stationary, also amateur apiaries.
It is determined by the ease of disinfection, durability and high aesthetics of workmanship. Economy in styrofoam hives is no different from that in hives made of other materials. The only problem that a beekeeper may face is the moisture of the nest due to the impermeability of this material. On the other hand, the high thermal insulation of expanded polystyrene ensures excellent thermal conditions, which has a positive effect on the rapid spring development of the bee family kept in such a hive. Styrofoam hives are equipped with additional elements to facilitate the performance of many bee-keeping works and to obtain additional bee products.
Advantages of a polystyrene hive:
- excellent insulating properties
- moisture resistance
- lightness of elements, which facilitates feeding, honey picking and running of apiaries
- long life, associated with resistance to weather conditions
- strong and durable construction
- environmental friendliness (no risk to the environment in production, reuse of waste)
- compatibility of all element
American Langstroth beehive set
••body (inner dimensions): 37 × 46,5 × H: 22 cm – 2 pcs
••high varroa bottom board